American Eagle Financial Credit Union acknowledges unequivocally that racism and discrimination, in any form, is wrong and unacceptable. We’re aiming to further understand how we, as one team, can best support the Black community as well anyone else who is hurting. Know that we are evaluating how we can make our cherished values—Caring, Trust, and Dependability—more tangibly present in the lives of all those impacted by recent events.
As a company, we’ve paused over the last week to deeply consider how to best engage concerning issues of racism in our community and country. We lacked the perfect words to properly validate the sorrow contained in this moment—especially for our Black members and employees. So we are sitting down, engaging with and listening to our employees…and finding it impactful. One outcome of the death of George Floyd and recent tragedies is that doors are finally opening to candidly begin this long overdue dialogue.
We have a lot to learn. We intend to educate ourselves as we humbly stand with the Black community in the spirit of unity, support, and action. We also believe that this moment is only the beginning of a longer conversation. Words without actions are futile. We commit to showing up in a meaningful way each day for our employees, members, and our community as a whole beginning with the following:
- Elevating the role of our Diversity & Inclusion Council which was formed during the summer of 2019. We recognize this team’s efforts need to be a part of our curriculum rather than an elective.
- Increasing diversity training and participation, especially among those in leadership roles.
- Facilitating panel discussions internally to help educate all members of the organization. We’ve already planned our first session to be held this month.
- We are actively having discussions with the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving, our primary source of charitable giving since 2010, to determine where to best lend our support in the areas of diversity, equality, and inclusion. We try our best to offer funding locally so it provides a direct positive impact within the communities we serve. We feel fortunate to have the Foundation’s guidance.
- We are committed to making these efforts the beginning of a deeper and ongoing conversation. As a company, we are dedicated to being a place where courageous conversations – about topics like race, justice and equality – are encouraged.
We look to those of you who have been hurt or felt discriminated in public or private spaces. Those actions are not deserved, are not your fault, and are not acceptable. Ever. In closing, we urge each of you to express love to one another and to find solace in this community. More than ever, the world needs to see how we model unity and love for one another.